Sunday, May 05, 2024

The Artist

 RANDOM JACK POETRY HOUR: AMERICAN DEMOCRACY


The Artist

 

He’ll tell you what you want to hear

Then he’ll take a step too far

Take a breath and buy a beer

Take a ride in his new car

 

So you like the blues do ya?

BB King was his best friend

Don’t believe it? What’s it to ya?

He was in the room at BB’s end

 

So you like to shoot some pool?

Did I tell you about the time

I took Minnesota Fats to school

In some joints that’s a crime

 

Did you mention Marilyn Monroe?

I took her to a summer dance

She was gorgeous but a little slow

We had a short but sweet romance

 

I had a chance to be the man

One step away from being King

I had the money, I had the brand

And lemme tell ya, I could sing …

 

I’m not the man you think I am

I’m the one who got away

I took the reins of Uncle Sam

I’ll be back again some day

 

No comments:

Post a Comment