Saturday, July 23, 2022

Universality

 RANDOM JACK POETRY HOUR: LIFE SONGS


Universality (Every Mother’s Son)

I’ve been all around this country
And there’s a few things that I know
Folks are pretty much the same
No matter where you go

I’ve lived a life in Tennessee
California is my home
I’ve hung my hat in New York City
Though I’ve never been to Nome

Chorus:
This is the simple truth my friend
No matter what you hear
There are those who would divide us
By playing to our fear

We might wear our hair in different styles
We might favor different clothes
But we love our friends and family
When we let our feelings show

I’ve been to other countries
I’ve flown across the sea
I’ve met good people everywhere
Who seem a lot like me

We don’t need to have a civil war
We don’t need to carry guns
We just need to know and understand
We’re every mother’s son *

We’re every mother’s son my friend
And every father’s daughter
We all breathe the same air
We all drink the same water

This is the simple truth my friend
No matter what you hear
There are those who would divide us
By playing to our fears

* and daughter


No comments:

Post a Comment