Thursday, October 22, 2020

Thirteen Days

RANDOM JACK POETRY HOUR:  AMERICAN DEMOCRACY

 

Thirteen Days

 

Thirteen days to the thirteenth

Most important election

Of my lifetime

 

I don’t remember who

I voted for back then

I know I never voted Republican

(It’s not in my bones)

I know I never voted for war

(Conscientious objection)

I know I never got the chance

To vote for a Kennedy

(I saw Bobby on the train to LA)

 

I do remember voting for Nader

I remember voting for Leonard Peltier

I remember voting for Hope

Remember Hope?

 

Every time every election

Every four years I was told

It was the most important

Election in my lifetime

 

Vietnam

The Gulf War

Afghanistan and Iraq

Global warming

Global pandemic

American democracy

Voter suppression

Voting rights

Civil rights

Women’s rights

Universal healthcare

The next Great Depression

Fire wind and rain

The fertile earth

 

This time they’re right

This time it’s real

This time all the cards

Are on the table

 


No comments:

Post a Comment