Friday, June 26, 2020

Family Circle

RANDOM JACK POETRY HOUR: CORONAVIRUS SERIES



Family Circle

Doing the right thing
Staying at home
Keeping our distance
Not taking chances
Staying safe the way we should
But I wonder now and then
How everyone is doing
Not in the abstract
Not on the phone
Not on social media
But up close and personal

My folks left some time ago
Never had to face this test
But the rest of us are near
Still living around here
My brothers and sisters
Nephews and nieces
Love them all to pieces
Babies being born
Some folks moving on
Kids growing up
Living lives without us

I miss the family circle
I miss looking them in the eye
Each and every one
Hearing what they have to say
Seeing what they really mean
I miss their tender love and caring
Moments that we shared
I miss the lazy days we spent
Shooting the evening breeze
Singing songs and telling stories

I know those days will come again
At least I hope they will
And we will cherish them all the more
For the gaping hole they fill

(for Ethan on his birthday)

No comments:

Post a Comment