Friday, May 08, 2020

Destination Destiny

RANDOM JACK POETRY HOUR: CORONAVIRUS SERIES



Destination Destiny

During the nation’s bicentennial
I lived on Manhattan Island
Busted my ass to make it there
Had my moment on the stage
Saw my name in the Village Voice
If not on the marquee lights

I wanted to make New York my home
My base of operations
A place to lay my head and toil
The center of the creative universe
The cradle of art and imagination

I remember landing in Grand Central Station
Alone with my thoughts my destination
A script in my bag dreams in my head
I wanted to belong be found be read

In the end the great metropolis refused
To share my welcome
Tossed me out like an old pair of boots
To live with the masses was not my destiny
Or was it random chance

I always wondered what might have been
What could have would have happened
Would I have thrived?
Would I be dead?
More than ever I wonder now
Where my first love might have led

No comments:

Post a Comment