Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Absence

RANDOM JACK POETRY HOUR: CORONAVIRUS SERIES



The Absence

You know but you do not know
You cannot know until it knocks you down
And leaves you dazed and grasping
Like a stray cat in a deep dark hole

My friend who drove his bike
Three hundred miles in blinding wind
and bitter cold for treatments
he could not receive at home

Another who worked hard for a living
Until his spine gave way
Who knows more pain every day
Than I will feel in a lifetime

My sister who went up against
The old boys club for thirty years
Who stared them down and won

My brothers who have been to the point
Of oblivion who balanced on a ledge
And fought their way back again

The younger ones who even now
Are welcoming new life into this strange
and unkind world

My friends family and loved ones
Whom I have always taken for granted
Who were always there when I needed them

I feel their absence now
Like a severed limb
Like a home without furniture
Like a story without end
Like a journey without a destiny

I feel the absence now
Like a stone in my hollow soul

No comments:

Post a Comment